Don’t worry we are not suggesting here that you make it company policy that every employee spends their lunch break pumping iron, running a marathon or completing a tour de France. While we all know that physical activity is a good way to keep our bodies strong and healthy, what we are talking about when we say ‘Business Muscle’ is developing the knowledge and skills of your employees to build strength within your team and your business.
What we mean is a well-trained, knowledgeable, up-to-date team will make your company stronger and potentially more successful.
Remember when training in the gym you should not stop when you have gained the muscle, you need to keep up the activity to maintain the strength, and it is the same when it comes to developing your skills and knowledge. You need to keep (mentally) fit by being up to date with the latest developments so you are better informed and can perform tasks effectively.
As with physical exercise you must put in the hard yards to see results. Providing the right sort of relevant training to your team will allow them to do their job more effectively and deliver some incredible business benefits to your company. So, no need for donning the Lycra just yet only ‘train the brain’.
Make training routine
Training is a vital part of the success of any business, and investment of time and money to train your team should be a key part of your overall business strategy. The inclusion of a training strategy can have many benefits for your company and should form part of your recruitment and HR policies. Some forward-thinking businesses also factor in training as a standard KPI to help improve employee, and company, performance to achieve objectives and company goals.
Providing the right training for your team can have significant benefits to both your company and employees.
Training can benefit your company because:
- It helps improve the overall business performance, your profit and your staff morale;
- You choose what new skills your workforce gains based on the skills required to meet your operational needs;
- Staff training can improve productivity and result in better customer service;
- Your workforce see that you value them enough to invest in their development, which improves loyalty and staff retention. It is that staff retention that results in a saving for you.
Training can benefit your staff because:
- they acquire new skills, increasing their contribution to the business and building their self-esteem;
- the training they do can take them into other positions within the organisation – positions with better prospects and/or better pay;
- they are upskilled to do new and different tasks, which keeps them motivated and fresh;
- because they’re being trained on your time, they see that you value them enough to invest in them. A good company is seen as one that retrains rather than churns.
In addition to having a direct impact on your business and staff, training also makes your company more attractive to potential new recruits. The absence of a training strategy can suggest to potential candidates that your company doesn’t invest in its staff’s development, which will lead to a lack of quality applicants.
How should I train my staff?
While some businesses will have the resources inhouse to be able provide training to their staff, for others there is a need to outsource. When outsourcing your training you get the benefit of gaining the knowledge and experience of someone that is a subject matter expert. Let’s face it – even though you might think you know about a topic there is always someone that knows more and room to improve your knowledge.
Additionally, by outsourcing your training, you are demonstrating to your staff that you take their development seriously and you do not shy away from making the investment that supports their career advancement. External courses are often valued by employees over internal training courses even if the trainer is the same. It is a frame of mind that being rewarded with external training means you care!
QBS group works with Microsoft Dynamics resellers to support their business growth and one of our services is providing training to their teams in functional and technical areas to achieve all the above benefits. We have an Academy portal that allows the company to self-administer and plan training for their teams easily. So, if you already work with QBS you have this option already and should be using it more! However, if you are a Microsoft partner that is thinking about selling Dynamics and needs to get training for their team from a subject matter expert, then please visit our website or drop us a line.