No one wants to be a dinosaur, it does not get you very far! If we want to run an analogy to the Yucatan asteroid some 65 million years ago, the advent of NAV 2016/NAV 2017 marks a shift to the new way of developing solutions and a threat to your capabilities if you don’t change the way you do things.
Those of you who, like me, have been involved with Microsoft Dynamics NAV (formerly Navision) for over 10 years, would be all too familiar with developing using C/SIDE. All your development work to date has been carefully planned around capitalising on endless days of development work on seemingly lengthy projects.
Dynamics 365 Acceleration Program
Are you a Microsoft Reseller who is looking for new growth possibilities and a way to honor the needs of your customers for an end-to-end solution. Read more about this program
Services revenue may be your current strength and focus, but please consider these few points and why Extensions are making a difference:
- Traditional NAV development is becoming less prominent – your competitors are now quoting prospects both for traditional development and for Extensions.
- Extensions, together with Eventing, bring complete future-proofing to your customer’s ROI in Dynamics NAV – it allows them to replace the current NAV version each year with the new version, taking advantage of any new functionality without having to undergo a traditional and costly NAV upgrade project.
- Extensions can be re-utilised for other projects – no need to waste development time in reinventing the wheel!
- Developing Extensions keeps your NAV Developers up-to-date with skills. They are sick and tired of doing work in NAV 2013, NAV 2009 or below. They want new challenges. If you don’t offer them the chance to stay « current » they will go and work for someone who lets them.
- Learning about Extensions also allows your current NAV developers to get their heads around developing Apps for Dynamics 365 for Financials. The technology is the same, the purpose is different.
- There are many .NET/C# developers on the market, looking for work at rates considerably below the NAV developer ones. If they know .NET as a programming standard and its .NET Framework, they can grasp Extensions and Eventing at a fast pace. If you already have developers with .NET skills in your organisation, you can offer them a move to your Dynamics practise.
Do you want to be in business 5 years from now, or do you want to join the dinosaurs?
As you can see from the above bullet points, there is a lot for you to think about. Do you want to be in business 5 years from now, or do you want to join the dinosaurs? They, at least, have left proof of their existence for many, many millions of years. Your business will soon be forgotten in this fast-paced digital age.
Would you like to know more? I am happy for you to drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.